At the Roundhouse Veterinary Hospital (part of the Pets’n’Vets family), we’re proud to be an accredited gold level Cat Friendly Clinic and members of ISFM (International Society of Feline Medicine).
We recognise that cats are unique creatures with specific needs and it’s important to us to demonstrate our commitment to the pets you entrust into our care. Working with International Cat Care (iCatCare), we have looked at how we can make the Roundhouse the best it can possibly be for our feline patients.
Cats by their nature are sensitive to changes in their environment, and by understanding and accepting this we can recommend measures to reduce the stress of your cat’s journey to the vet, and their visit to the Roundhouse as much as possible.
In order to achieve our gold Cat Friendly Clinic accreditation, we have had to meet carefully selected criteria as stipulated by iCatCare. We have demonstrated that we:
- Understand the needs of cats and strive to make visits to the vet clinic cat friendly
- Approach and handle cats gently and with care through ongoing staff education
- Follow the ISFM Feline Friendly Handling and Nursing Care guidelines and have made the pledge to be ‘Scruff free’
- Have invested in equipment to manage the specific care requirements of cats
- Have an appointed Cat Advocate member of staff to implement and oversee our cat friendly clinic status
(source – catfriendlyclinic.org)
Gold Standard Cat Friendly Clinic
As a Gold Standard Cat Friendly Clinic, we are trained to handle cats in a manner that minimises stress, fear and anxiety, as well as advising you on the best way to safely and comfortably transport your cat to the Roundhouse.
We have an in-house cat advocate, Denise Hobin, who is available to answer any questions or concerns you may have, and to provide information and advice on caring for your cat.
Our cat friendly facilities include:
- A separate cat waiting area, with raised areas on which to place your cat carrier, which is away from areas where other animals may be waiting.
- The use of feline pheromone diffusers and Pet Remedy spray and diffusers to help calm and reassure cats, and cat only towels for use in the waiting area to place over your cat’s carrier to provide an extra sense of security.
- A quiet, well equipped, cat only consulting room.
- A range of equipment such as blood pressure monitors and cat specific weighing scales to provide a high level of care to our feline patients.
- A cat only hospitalisation ward with large kennels, comfortable, soft bedding and cat igloos or perch and hide boxes to allow your cat privacy and to feel safe and secure during their stay with us.
- Overnight hospitalisation facilities so your cat can stay settled in their own kennel during their stay
- Excellent facilities for surgery, dentistry, lab testing and diagnostic imaging are available to allow procedures to be performed to a high standard of care for feline patients.
- Diagnostic imaging facilities so investigations can be undertaken on site.