The Roundhouse Veterinary Hospital

0141 649 4949

Pets'n'Vets - Crookfur

0141 639 5066

Hairmyres Vets

01355 261 262

Queens Park

0141 424 4117

McDonald Vets - Scotstoun

0141 959 0749

McDonald Vets - Queen Margaret Drive

0141 946 3651

Blantyre Vets

01698 327 123

  • Antifreeze Dangers - Things to look out for this Winter

Pet Health for Life Plan

Spread the cost of your pet’s essential healthcare

Sign up online

As the temperature drops and it gets a bit more chilly than usual, many of you will have a bottle of antifreeze at the ready to de-ice your car on these Baltic winter mornings. However, you may not be aware of how antifreeze can be a danger to pets, in particularly cats.

 Pets'n'Vets Family Partner Ross Allan said: “Ethylene Glycol (antifreeze) is one of the more common causes of poisoning in dogs and cats, which can be attracted by its sweet taste. The liquid is also typically colourless and odourless, making it especially hard for humans to detect.”

“Sadly, by the time the symptoms appear: vomiting, diarrhoea and ‘drunken’ appearance, often rapidly progressing to potentially catastrophic renal failure, it can be too late to treat successfully.”

“I’d therefore urge dog and cat owners in Lanarkshire and Glasgow to securely store these chemicals if they have them within their household, well away from pets, and to be on the alert over the winter months in particular.”

Our tips for preventing antifreeze poisoning:

  • Keep pets away from where your antifreeze is stored
  • Be careful not to spill antifreeze when using it and ensure sure you clean up carefully if you do. A cat or dog may walk through it then lick it off their paws
  • If you drain your antifreeze, do not leave it in an open container because animals will be attracted to it
  • Dispose of this waste properly and keep empty and full antifreeze containers away from dogs, who may be tempted to chew on them
  • Choose an antifreeze that does not contain Ethylene Glycol

It’s important that your pet is seen as soon as possible if they do ingest Ethylene Glycol (antifreeze). If you suspect your pet has ingested antifreeze, please contact us immediately.


  • Head office:
  • 43-47 Cogan Road
  • Auldhouse Retail Park
  • Pollokshaws
  • G43 1BJ
  • cert RCVS Small Animal Hospital
  • Silver Cat Friendly Clinic 2024
  • Gold Cat Friendly Clinic 2024
  • Bronze Cat Friendly Clinic 2024
  • Glasgow's Favorite Business 2015
  • RCVS Accredited Practice
  • BVHA Presidents Award
  • IIE WT Bronze
  • rabbit friendly clinic in glasgow